Monday - Sunday
24 Hours / 7 Days A Week

Who Do You Call for Water Damage in Your Home?

If inside of your home has water damage, it can be overwhelming to know what to do first. Initially, your biggest stress will likely come from the awareness that your room is flooding, your ceiling is bulging, or your toilet is overflowing. Additional anxiety will come as you try to try to control the current damage and minimize any further destruction to your home.

Should a burst or leaking pipe be the possible culprit, it’s time to pick up the phone, after taking some deep breaths and turning off the home’s electricity and water supply for safety. But who do you call first?

You know the water needs to be extracted and the affected rooms dried to limit the occurrence of mold. Though, it’s critical to address the source of the water to ensure water does not continue to come in. After all that, you will likely need to repair your home, replacing carpeting, hardwood flooring, drywall, or other items ruined by the water damage. There are a lot of steps and options, but don’t freak out! We’ve prepared the following questions to help you easily determine who to call and when.

Are You Able to Stop or Minimize the Incoming Water?

  • Yes: Proceed to the next question.
  • No: Call a Professional Plumber.
  • See out list of local reputable plumbers

If you answered no, your first call needs to be to a professional plumber. A plumber can repair or address issues with  all water systems in your home, including water, sewage, and drainage pipes, as well as many appliances, such as dishwashers or washing machines.

Do You Have Homeowners Insurance?

  • No: Proceed to the next question.
  • Yes: Call your insurance agent or company.

Reaction time is critical when water is invading your home, and your insurance professional can act as a knowledgeable guide leading you down the quickest route back to pre-loss conditions or “normal.” If you don’t have a reliable go-to water mitigation company such as RestoPros, a plumber, or other needed professional contractor, lean on the advice of your insurance agent to get on the right track, including getting the claims process started to help pay for repairs.

Is the Source of Water Repaired or Just Stopped?

  • Repaired: Proceed to the next question.
  • Stopped: Call a plumber or appliance repair person.

At this point the cause of the water damage should be under control, but that doesn’t mean the problem is necessarily fixed. For example, if you shut off the water supply to a ruptured pipe, the pipe needs to be repaired or replaced in order to turn the water back on without incurring more water damage.

Do you have pooling water, dampness, mold, or other water damage?

  • No or minimal (meaning a few towels and a fan can dry it up): Sounds like it’s back to home sweet home.
  • Yes: Call a local water mitigation and remediation professional, like RestoPros!

Certified Water Remediation Technicians will work quickly to remove and extract the water and dry the damp areas using the appropriate drying equipment. After they have everything dry and protected from potential mold, A general contractor or restoration company will perform any repairs or reconstruction that is needed to return your home back to its original pre-loss condition.

A quick tip on the reconstruction or rebuilding phase, it’s a great time to talk about any upgrades or changes you’ve always wanted to make with your Project Manager. This would mean a cost difference but it’s a perfect time to make those changes to your home.